Welcome to the Staffs-VW Forum


Staffordshire's Biggest Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda & SEAT Forum; find


  •  » Technical Advice for Problem solving
  •  » Advice about Insurance, modifications and Tuning
  •  » Discounts for Cleaning and Detailing with Advice Forums
  •  » Network with Fellow VAG enthusiasts
  •  » Advice on regular maintenance for your VW

VW Forum for Staffordshire, Cheshire, Derbyshire & West Midlands


For Site advertising please contact us via HERE


REGISTER HERE FOR FREE


p.s.: Registered members will not see this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: New ish wheels

  1. #1

    New ish wheels

    I know i said i would change my current 17inch alloys to something more fitting for an 89 Mk1 cabrio, in the future BUT i couldnt resist these -



    but how do i polish them up and what size adaptor will i need for the hubs??


  2. #2

    Re: New ish wheels

    elbow grease.......


  3. #3

    Re: New ish wheels

    2000 grit wet and dry then a polishing kit and lots of time (that's how i did the polished swing arm I had on one of my motorbikes anyway)

  4. #4

    Re: New ish wheels

    Quote Originally Posted by BVR Dave View Post
    2000 grit wet and dry then a polishing kit and lots of time (that's how i did the polished swing arm I had on one of my motorbikes anyway)
    Cheers Dave. What is this polishing kit you speak of? Elbows are greased and ready

  5. #5

    Re: New ish wheels

    you could always use something like this to make the process quicker...

    http://www.staffs-vw.co.uk/other-ite...-polisher.html


  6. #6

    Re: New ish wheels

    Do what Chris does....jack the car up, put it in gear, something on the pedal and let the wheel do the work......lol

  7. #7

    Re: New ish wheels

    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbernut View Post
    Do what Chris does....jack the car up, put it in gear, something on the pedal and let the wheel do the work......lol
    sounds like a plan

  8. #8

    Re: New ish wheels

    i mirror polished the lips on my bbs lm reps on my old beemer. to make it look right is a pain in the ****. it took me around 3 hours per wheel and thats just the lips.
    flat down any curb damage etc, and remove all laquer (easier said then done)
    then wet and dry till you get to around the 2000 grid. then use a polishing compund. (i used meguirs metal polish) with a polishing mop on a drill. then two options leave as they are which means no driving in the rain (as they milk up and stain and ur back to square one unless u use rim way ( and not the stuff batty boys use) proper wheel protection stuff. this needs to be applied when u wash the car.
    in my eyes proper ball ache especially this time of year.

    or degrease them (due to polishing compound left on the rim ) and then laquer them.

    in my eyes to do a set of porker rims and get an ok finish diy style is in the region of 6-8 hours per rim.
    or send them to purklas who did my old porker d90's i ran on my ibiza and he will do them a treat (but mine werent laquered and come winter were a nightmare. i brought a second set painted dark silver/grey and ran them in winter.

    personally i think its a lot of hassle

    but im a misserable sod.

  9. #9

    Re: New ish wheels

    I ran my BBS through winter and just sucked it up... the amount of polishing I had to do before I sold them was unreal as I couldn't be bothered with the daily cleaning of them....

  10. #10

    Re: New ish wheels

    Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    i mirror polished the lips on my bbs lm reps on my old beemer. to make it look right is a pain in the ****. it took me around 3 hours per wheel and thats just the lips.
    flat down any curb damage etc, and remove all laquer (easier said then done)
    then wet and dry till you get to around the 2000 grid. then use a polishing compund. (i used meguirs metal polish) with a polishing mop on a drill. then two options leave as they are which means no driving in the rain (as they milk up and stain and ur back to square one unless u use rim way ( and not the stuff batty boys use) proper wheel protection stuff. this needs to be applied when u wash the car.
    in my eyes proper ball ache especially this time of year.

    or degrease them (due to polishing compound left on the rim ) and then laquer them.

    in my eyes to do a set of porker rims and get an ok finish diy style is in the region of 6-8 hours per rim.
    or send them to purklas who did my old porker d90's i ran on my ibiza and he will do them a treat (but mine werent laquered and come winter were a nightmare. i brought a second set painted dark silver/grey and ran them in winter.

    personally i think its a lot of hassle

    but im a misserable sod.

    I am a miseable sod too who are Purklas? Might be better to get someone else to do the initial strip and polish and then keep it up from there! The car will not be out in the wet as its my Summer toy

Similar Threads

  1. Wheels Question ..........
    By djdubplate in forum Wheels and Tyres
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20-08-2011, 10:05 PM
  2. RS8 wheels
    By steve113 in forum eBay Links for VW items
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-06-2011, 08:35 AM
  3. lenso/ wheels
    By steve113 in forum eBay Links for VW items
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-06-2011, 08:33 AM
  4. 18 inch wheels
    By steve113 in forum eBay Links for VW items
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-06-2011, 08:27 AM
  5. Glass Wheels
    By Jon in forum Wheels and Tyres
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •